Tatsfield Horticultural Society

Minutes of the committee meeting

held via Zoom on Wednesday 10th March 2021

Present:- Pam Bishop (PB)(Chairman), Martin Allen(MA)(Treasurer), Peter Maynard (PM)(Secretary), Christine Stainer (CS), Bob David (BD)(President), Catherine Webber(CW), Sue Warren(SW), Alexa Carter (AC), Carol Gaskell(CG) and Jon Allbutt (JA).

Apologies for absence

Heather Leeves (HL) Jan Akhtar (JAk) and Stephen Mittins (SM).

Minutes from last meeting held on 20th January 2021.

No amendments. The minutes will be signed by PB.

Open Actions :-

AGM 2021 speaker – vineyard owner? No action – JAk unwell

Send gardening-related photos to MA. Ongoing

Arrange award of Banksian medal. Deferred to next meeting

All other items : done, or pending.





Review of recent events

Because of the Covid-19 epidemic, it had not been possible to hold any events.


MA reported – his report is attached. He was predicting a loss of about £655 if the Plant Sale went ahead, but £955 if it did not.

Forthcoming events

Plant sale 8th May. The committee decided that this should be cancelled. It could be replaced by an autumn plant sale of, for example, pansies, primulas and bulbs, and this was pencilled in for October 9th. To be discussed at a later meeting. If any member had raised plants for the sale, it was suggested that they could be displayed on the green outside Sheree’s store and sold ‘non-contact’.

Wisley visit 26 June. To go ahead at the moment. PB will phone the RHS, and a decision will be taken at the next meeting. An alternative could be a later visit.

Autumn Show. Decision taken that this should go ahead. MA said that new guidance from Tandridge DC indicated that a risk assessment would be needed.

Garden Club 14 September. PB will phone Ian Hayman to enquire if he would be the speaker.

Garden Club 12 October. To go ahead. Speaker to be decided at a later meeting.

Possible alternatives to Spring Show. It was decided not to pursue any alternatives.



Regular Updates

a) Subscriptions : It was decided that a ‘flyer’ would be produced and delivered to all members detailing the revised dates of events for 2021.

b) TIB : BD reported that Tatsfield will be entering S+SEIB in 2021, and that the judging would be (as it was in 2020) off-site. Summer floral planting would be similar to 2020, ie individuals taking plants from a central depot and making up planters etc. It was still not possible for volunteers to meet on Saturday. JA reported that some pruning had been done, and a new risk assessment made.

c) Composting : see report from MA.

Work Party to clear out THS container at allotments

To be considered at the next meeting.


Encouraging Youngsters

To be considered at the next meeting.


Possible ‘Christmas’ meal

It was agreed that this should be cancelled.



Any Other Business

MA has written an article for publication in the next (April) issue of the Parish Magazine. PB will write an article for the May magazine.


Date of next meeting

The next meeting will be on Wednesday May 12th 2021 at 7.30pm via Zoom.